RSS

Search Engine

Thursday, May 13, 2010

May 10, 2010 – Making the Right Choice

According to the surveys of SWS (Social Weather Station) and Pulse Asia, the two candidates that are leading the race to the presidency are Noynoy Aquino and Manny Villar. In my opinion, publishing surveys about elections should be prohibited because it does affect the decision making of the voters. Don’t you think that this is not right? Publishing or broadcasting surveys about upcoming elections should once and for all be banned!

How can surveys affect the choices that voters like me make?

For me, the thought of having Villar as our new president is a nightmare. Yes he made himself a fortune from being a poor man from Tondo. He probably does have the capabilities to push this country out from poverty; but will he do it? Or will he rather take advantage of his power for personal intentions. Not for once had I ever believed that he got his fortune by being an honest man. In my opinion, the C5 scandal is as clear as it can get and it spells what can happen to our country if he ever becomes president.

There was a time when I was really scared of the thought of Manny Villar being the president of the Philippines that I wanted to vote for Noynoy. Thanks a lot to surveys conducted SWS and Pulse Asia! These survey institutes that don’t even bother to disclose if the surveys that they conducted are commissioned or not have poisoned my mind. That was until I realized that I need to vote for someone who I really believe would be a good leader for this country rather than voting for someone just because I don’t want Villar to win. When I finally came to my senses, I felt ashamed and disappointed with myself for considering voting for Noynoy just for this reason.

Senator Noynoy Aquino has no records or issues of corruption throughout his service to his country. However, he has also done nothing for this country so far and I never even felt that he wanted to do anything for our country. Not until the former President Corazon Aquino died. Just looking at Senator Aquino’s track record makes me wonder why on Earth he deserves the highest position in my country. Voting for Noynoy Aquino can be illustrated through a simple equation: Noyoy = Erap + Famous Parents – Corruption. That being said, you know I am not voting for Joseph Estrada.

I am NOT voting for Noynoy Aquino. Does this mean that I don’t like a corrupt free country? Or does this mean that I’m just one of the few Filipinos who studied their lessons and did their assignments?

After looking into all the presidential candidates’ profiles, backgrounds, achievements and platforms, it all boils down to two qualified candidates: Gilbert “Gibo” Teodoro and Richard “Dick” Gordon.

There’s no question that Gilbert Teodoro is one of the most intelligent and qualified candidates to be the president of the Philippines. He has the best educational attainment among all presidential candidates. The track record of Gibo is good but not impressive. Gibo being this intelligent, capable and experienced was enough for me to choose and vote him for president. In addition to that, the fact that Gibo Teodoro is also from Tarlac (my hometown) is a plus.

If there is one thing that pulls down Gibo from the presidential race, it is the endorsement of President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo. But don’t you think that PGMA is not that dumb to endorse Gibo if she really wants him to win? Don’t you see that the incumbent president’s real favorite fruit is orange and not green apple? Sorry but my vote for Gibo will not be won by other candidates just because of this.

It seems that by this time, Gibo had really won my vote. However, less than 24 hours before the 2010 elections start (just as I am writing this article), I came to realize that intelligence is not everything.

When you were a kid, did any of your teachers tell your parents that: “Matalino naman po ang anak nyo, tamad lang”. And have you ever heard of the quote: “It’s not what you have; it’s what you do with it”?

Gibo was a congressman here in Tarlac for 3 straight terms but he has done nothing great about this place. People are also questioning on how he responded when the country’s capital was struck by Ondoy and Pepeng. It was also discovered that some of the weapons used by the Ampatuans in Maguindanao massacre were from the Philippine Military during his time as a Secretary of National Defense. It makes me wonder, what did he do with his intelligence during these times?

It’s time to take another look at Richard Gordon…

Richard Gordon has an impressive track record from his service as a senator, mayor of Olongapo, SBMA chairman, secretary of Tourism and chairman of the Philippines National Red Cross. Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority is also considered as Dick Gordon’s legacy. He has turned this place into one of the most disciplined and orderly place in the Philippines. Thousands of jobs were also generated for the people. Gordon has already showed his heart many times by helping those who are in need. He has responded well in the Mt. Pinatubo tragedy and worked hard as the chairman of the PNRC. There is no question that Gordon has done a great service for his country even though he is not as intelligent as Gibo.

Okay, now that I’ve seen his good points, it’s time to look at the downsides of voting him. Hmm… I think there’s a little problem….

Richard Gordon does not have any real corruption controversies, no questionable properties and not even issues about having multiple wives.

Yes Gordon does talk too much and he is not the most intelligent presidential candidate. But he has shown us that change can be done. Now he is asking us to give him the opportunity to do for the country what he has already done for Subic.
Now I know that red is the right choice.

Choosing for the right people for our country’s next leaders is a hard task and huge responsibility. It is also every Filipino citizen’s right and duty to go out and vote for who they think will serve our country best. So please, choose wisely and go out and vote!

0 comments:

Post a Comment